mkonareff

Trees color and options

Hello,

I just purchased TerraFlora and I must admit you guys did a great work.

I really like some of the trees, especially the conifers which look much more real than FTX Trees HD. However, it's not exactly the same with all textures as some of them don't fit every places very well.

After a quick try in North of France I have seen that some trees are far too bright compared to the terrain, thus the "volume" feeling has completely disappeared and in some places I even have the feeling not to have autogen trees compared to FTX trees HD, especially in cities. Also in the same place I've seen some red maples, which looks a bit weird to me in the North of France.

Here are 2 pictures showing what I mean:

With FTX trees HD

With TerraFlora

The winter trees are also very nice from the ground and low altitude but the "volume" feeling also disappear quite quickly in the distance with altitude because of the high transparency of the textures.

As I fully understand you have to satisfy everyone and make compromises to find a good balance, why not to add an option for 2 variants of some trees?

This was never done and would be a perfect addition to TerraFlora to fit every taste and every place. I didn't see anything else at the moment.

It could be something like:

1. Summer & Spring:

- Vibrant trees

- Darker trees

2. Fall (

- Without red mapples

- With red mapples

3. Winter

- More transparency

- Less transparency

Hope you will consider this,

Thanks by advance,

Maxime

Hi Maxime,

Apologies for not acknowledging your post sooner.

At the moment we're currently looking at ways to enable the user to customise their TerraFlora setup. This will be the next step in TerraFlora's development.

Although implementing a switch to change or remove tree types is itself reasonably straightforward, making those new textures is both time consuming and labour-intensive. For that reason we can't really put a timeframe on when such a feature will be available.

We're also looking at how we can include a greater variety of species and sub-species than the original FSX/P3D autogen system allows. Again, we have the technology and the method but making the trees isn't a quick process.

I'm not entirely sure I understand your concern with the transparency of winter trees. Can you post a screenshot showing the issue you're seeing?

Looking at your screenshots, I can understand what you're concern is in the summer months. The TerraFlora trees actually blend too well into your landclass and so are hard to see. The FTX HD trees which are mostly based on the original Orbx trees included with the FTX PNW region (and subsequently all other regions) are intentonially very dark to sit with the darker/duller lighting found in the PNW region. TerraFlora was intended to make a more global solution but obviously we have a limited amount of trees to work with so this becomes very difficult to do logistically. Hopefully our future plans will overcome this.

As soon as we have something to show in this regard, we'll make an announcement.

Cheers,

Greg

Hello Greg,

No problem, I just insisted fearing this post could be forgotten.

Great to hear you want to implement customization options, as being also a developer I'm totally aware on how time consuming it is and will wait the time you need, just wanted to be sure something could be done on your side. Thanks for considering customers suggestions :-)

That's what I appreciate more than anything in support.

By that time, I'll use a shader tweak to reduce the trees brightness to fight this too strong blending effect or switch again to Trees HD waiting for your update.

As far as you keep enhancing your product, I don't regret my purchase at all.

About the winter trees, it was hard to explain, not sure a screenshot will really help, but I guess this is also a blending effect. It's getting hard to see 3D tress as soon as you get a bit of altitude, while it's basically less realistic, trees HD look more brown and dense in winter, allowing to keep the 3D effect of the winter trees. Yours are perfect from ground but hard to see from above.

I'll try to explain this with screenshots in the next few days as I'm busy too preparing a release !

Hi,

I aggree to Maxime. Flying over South Germany (ORBX) on a sunny day in spring or summer, trees are much to bright and yellowish.

I keep flying with ORBX trees until we can adjust color accordingly.

Bruno

Hello !

Any news about this?
I'm really sad not to be using Terra Flora because of this, while the texture themselves are extremly beautiful, their tint causing this "too perfect blending" just kills the 3D effect.

PS: congratulations for the Glacier Park release, I'll surely take it :)

Edited by mkonareff

16 hours ago, mkonareff said:

Hello !

Any news about this?
I'm really sad not to be using Terra Flora because of this, while the texture themselves are extremly beautiful, their tint causing this "too perfect blending" just kills the 3D effect.

PS: congratulations for the Glacier Park release, I'll surely take it :)

Hi,

I'm actually working on some updates right now which should address your issues and add a bunch of new flexibility. We'll have more news on this in the coming weeks.

Greg

On 3/27/2018 at 04:46, Greg Jones said:

Hi,

I'm actually working on some updates right now which should address your issues and add a bunch of new flexibility. We'll have more news on this in the coming weeks.

Greg

Hello -

Are we going to see the color variation release of this product soon?  We have not heard any news since March 27th ( I for one,  am anxious to re-install in my P3D4.3)

Would love to install and use with my other Orbx products but it is still just too light.

Since you merged some of your products with Orbx, not sure if this one is not longer being developed since it "competes" with Orbx Trees HD.

Please let us know...

Many thanks,

Daniel

Hi Daniel,

We still plan to add the extra features to TerraFlora we have mentioned in the past though we have no clear timeframe at this stage. MYy advice would be to proceeed with you reinstall using the current version of TF. Any future upgrades will be a simple process!

Cheers,

Greg